1. Summarize how and why you organized this Project Output as presented:
(Reflect on your design, process, method and purpose)
I organised this unit’s outputs based on the three essential phases in chronological order: experience in the field, teaching apprenticeships and teaching courses. I used design thinking throughout this process while continuously using the four questions to assess where I am at and signpost my future activity. I also recorded my activities with photographs, writing and journal and seeking feedback where possible.
2. How did this process go?
I enjoyed producing this open ended diploma unit. The framework set out has set out a vision and I can see I’m following the path. I benefited from recording my thoughts in my journal regularly which enabled me to be more reflective, leading to a more useful analysis phase.
3. What did you learn?
- That I have the capacity to teach in front of an audience
- How to generate an event
- The mutual benefit of working in a team
- The importance of defining goals from the outset which can then be turned into the strategy
4. What tools did you use?
Mind mapping software – xmind
Voice recording software – Free sound recorder
mp3 joining software – mp3 cutter joiner
picture resizer – free picture resize starter
Knowledge of html – I just googled what I needed as there are a plethora of html tutorial websites, I didn’t find a preference.
5. Did you find any people or tutorials particularly useful in creating this project report?
My teachers – Patrick Whitefield and Aranya
My colleague – Cinzia, who is also a diploma apprentice. We gained a considerable amount of support from each other through this process.
Permaculture resources –
The Permaculture Teachers Guide – well laid out, in depth, a fantastic resource.
Introduction to Permaculture – by Bill Mollison, the original book which covers all the basics.
PDC Course DVD collection – a complete coverage of course material. Presented as “chalk and talk” and therefore difficult to watch. Recommended for the dedicated perma warriors out there.
6. How much time did you spend in creating this project report?
It takes me approximately three hours to build a web page, develop the copy, and get the look and feel right. Therefore this unit took me 27 hours to produce.
7. How well have you showcase your learnings in this project report?
(Would you consider this project report satisfactory if it was prepared by another person?)
I’ve demonstrated design thinking, strategic thinking, action, reflection, future plans. I’ve exposed some perceived weaknesses and met these challenges head on with pleasing results.
8. Any final reflections on your pathway integration and development?
This diploma unit has shown me the value of strategic thinking. In future units, I will be experimenting with different models, assessing and evaluating the resutls. Ultimately, this would add more value to this process and make me a better designer.
- I reconnected with my self belief and confidence – talking in front of an audience.
- I confronted my fear of being wrong – created and delivered a presentation.
- I practised being sensitive to someone else’s needs – my co-teachers.
A man’s growth is optimised if he leans just beyond his edge, his capacity, his fear – David Deida
- I facilitated and co-taught two affordable weekend courses.
- I have set a programme for continuous professional development – public speaking and teacher training.
- I designed a methodology for creating presentations – ITP for the London Permaculture 2011 event.
- We have turned the design task set in the ITP course into a live design which will be implemented in 2012. Follow my blog for further updates.
- My critical analysis has unearthed areas for improvement by design. Follow my blog for future updates as I design and implement these.
- I am developing a capacity to teach.
- I am fostering a valuable professional relationship with Cinzia Sarigu.
- I documented the power of the design cycle – goal articulation, strategy, design, implementation, analysis and review.
- I designed my own website for my diploma module.